Women can get bogged down with ticking the boxes of the relevant qualifications and experience they ‘should’ have. But often overlook the benefit of their personal power and ability to get along with people. Being aware of their strengths, particularly their interpersonal strengths and learning how to exploit them can fast track their promotional prospects.
Women should never underestimate the power of networking, not just in the traditional sense but building relationships wherever they go. I wholeheartedly buy-into the theory of six degrees of separation – you never know where your next opportunity could come from. And even if you don’t ascribe to this, it’s useful to remember, people prefer to work with people they like.
Beyond the obvious, I recommend six steps:
- Positive attitude (see possibilities in situations, not just obstacles)
- Set goals: you need to know where you are going to devise a road map of how to get there
- Be consistent in your character: what do you what to be known for? Who needs to know? How will you get access to them?
- Build your personal ‘authentic’ brand and promote it in everything you do and say
- Become an expert commentator in your field and exploit opportunities to promote your message and skills
- Network; build genuine relationships with people in your field and beyond, exploit your interpersonal skills.
Professional coach and journalist, Suzanne Simmons-Lewis helps her clients clarify and achieve their true purpose and ambitions in their careers and businesses, drawing out their unique talents. She inspires supports and challenges clients in their journey to making their long-held dreams an exciting reality.